LeAnne Martin
AuthorSpeaker
Christians in the Arts

Monday, May 07, 2007

Laura Millar: Trusting God Every Step

Laura Millar grew up on stage. She was in her first production at the age of five and has performed in one almost every year since. She has acted and sung in both professional and community theater. Her favorite roles include Annie from Annie, Get Your Gun, Rosie in Bye Bye Birdie, and Maria in The Sound of Music. She also has taught drama and choreographed productions.

LeAnne: You're in a choral ensemble. Tell me about the group and the type of music you do.

Laura:
I have been in a couple of great groups through the years -- Christian and non Christian. I only do Christian ensembles now, as I have such limited time. I’m taking a break from it this spring but we sing in churches (to give worship leaders a Sunday off) as well as secular venues, such as parties, festivals and other entertainment arenas. The idea behind the group is to be very portable. We have a lot of a cappella pieces. We also have a subtle music set that we perform at secular venues, but we always end the show or set with a song with a Christian message — to be a bit of a mission, if you will. There is such a wide diversity of wonderful music out there that you can put together an entire show with secular-popular music that has themes of high purpose. We always end with a song with a godly message. A couple of great songs we have done through the years are “The Reason We Sing” and “Would You See Jesus More.” They are great songs with great messages as to why we are here and why we do what we do.

LeAnne: You are currently writing a musical. What have you learned about God and theater in the process?

Laura:
It is one of the most challenging things I have ever done in my life. I sometimes feel I am writing something that is too godly for the secular world and too secular, if you will, for the godly world. I am learning that I have to trust God every step. Every line. Every note. It is a day-by-day faith building experience for me. It may only be about the time God and I have spent together doing it — it may never be put on anywhere, and I really think I have reached the place where I will be OK with that. But I do believe in my heart that He is guiding me on this and it is my job to finish the race. Sometimes I feel it is going to kill me off. Other times I feel it is the most exhilarating thing I have ever done.

No comments:

(placeholder)
waterlily

Home | About | Articles | Speaking | Links | Contact | FAQ
Blogs: Christians in the Arts | Beauty and the Beholder

Copyright 2007 LeAnne Martin. Site designed by ChurchGraphics.org