LeAnne Martin
AuthorSpeaker
Christians in the Arts

Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Debut of Elysium

Last Saturday night, my husband and I saw the debut performance of a new chamber orchestra and chorus in Atlanta called Elysium. Elysium means paradise, and as these gifted musicians and singers performed, I thought about the music of paradise, of heaven. What will it be like? Will our ears be able to take in such exquisite sounds? Will the quality of our own voices astonish us as we use them to sing praise to our God?

If we’re watching and listening, the arts can give us a tiny glimpse of the paradise that is heaven. Music as beautiful as Tchaikovsky’s Serenade for Strings and as powerful as Mozart’s Requiem must glorify our Creator God. As my ears filled with the glorious sounds, I worshipped Him--how could I not?--and I know I wasn't the only one to do so. In the third movement of Serenade for Strings, Elegia, my soul took wing as the music began to build. The Requiem, with the chorus and soloists, was as moving as always.

For more information about Elysium:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/arts/content/arts/stories/2007/05/10/0511alvchamber.html

For a review of the performance:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/accessatlanta/reviews/entries/2007/05/13/almost_paradise.html

No comments:

(placeholder)
waterlily

Home | About | Articles | Speaking | Links | Contact | FAQ
Blogs: Christians in the Arts | Beauty and the Beholder

Copyright 2007 LeAnne Martin. Site designed by ChurchGraphics.org