LeAnne Martin
AuthorSpeaker
Christians in the Arts

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Francis Schaeffer’s Art & The Bible

I have more from Francis Schaeffer’s essay, “Some Perspectives on Art.”

The first [perspective on art] is the most important: A work of art has a value in itself. For some this principle may seem too obvious to mention, but for many Christians it is unthinkable. And yet if we miss this point, we miss the very essence of art. Art is not something we merely analyze or value for its intellectual content. It is something to be enjoyed. The Bible says that the art work in the tabernacle and the temple was for beauty…

As a Christian we know why a work of art has value. Why? First, because a work of art is a work of creativity, and creativity has value because God is the Creator…

Second, … man is made in the image of God, and therefore man not only can love and think and feel emotion, but also has the capacity to create. Being in the image of God, we are called upon to have creativity
[pp. 33-34].

I’d better stop there. Schaeffer’s little booklet holds some great ideas. You can find your own copy of Art & The Bible at Amazon or CBD.com. Let me know what you think of it.

Coming soon: Features with CiVA, a culture expert, poet, composer, musician, dancer, and more

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leanne I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. I read it every week. Keep up the great work!

LeAnne Benfield Martin said...

Joe, It's great to hear from you! I'm having so much fun with this blog and have met some gifted and fascinating people. Thanks for letting me know you're enjoying it.

LeAnne

Alida Sharp said...

I love Edith Schaeffer's book the Art of Homemaking! I suppose I should also read something of Francis' as well!

LeAnne Benfield Martin said...

Blackpurl,

Thanks for commenting. Good to hear from you! I love Edith's book too. In fact, I read her Art book and her L'Abri book well before I read anything of Francis'. She was my introduction to him, as a matter of fact.

Art & The Bible is a great read full of foundational principles about the arts. Well worth it. Let me know what you think!

LeAnne

(placeholder)
waterlily

Home | About | Articles | Speaking | Links | Contact | FAQ
Blogs: Christians in the Arts | Beauty and the Beholder

Copyright 2007 LeAnne Martin. Site designed by ChurchGraphics.org