LeAnne Martin
AuthorSpeaker
Christians in the Arts

Monday, July 28, 2008

About Story and Reading

This summer I've been reading even more voraciously than usual: fiction, nonfiction, fiction theory, nonfiction about the arts and artists in general. It has been a rich and wonderful summer because of it. I found a few quotes I'd like to share about books, story, reading, and the artist. 

Also, I'm excited about my upcoming features. Stay tuned.

"The unread story is not a story; it is little black marks on wood pulp. The reader, reading it, makes it live: a live thing, a story." Ursula Le Guin

"The failure to read good books both enfeebles the vision and strengthens our most fatal tendency--the belief that here and now is all there is." Allan Bloom, The Closing of the American Mind

"One must be an inventor to read well." Ralph Waldo Emerson, "The American Scholar" 

"The proper study of mankind is books." Aldous Huxley  [And I would add "so is art."]

"Artists are the antennae of the race." Ezra Pound, ABC of Reading

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked your Allen Bloom quote. I highly reccomend "Closing of the American Mind." It was a book that made me think and stretched my thinking in new directions.

Here's to a book-enriched summer!

(placeholder)
waterlily

Home | About | Articles | Speaking | Links | Contact | FAQ
Blogs: Christians in the Arts | Beauty and the Beholder

Copyright 2007 LeAnne Martin. Site designed by ChurchGraphics.org