LeAnne Martin
AuthorSpeaker
Christians in the Arts

Monday, January 28, 2008

Kerry Jackson: Ministering to Creative People

Kerry Jackson, a visual artist, ministers to the arts community in Atlanta as a Mission Service Corps missionary and church planter (www.drawingtotherock.com/msc). He’s also president of Drawing to the Rock Ministries, Inc. (www.drawingtotherock.com) and presents live worship art around the world.

LeAnne: What is your background in art?

Kerry:
I've been involved in art all my life. I always knew that I'd be an artist when I grew up. I received a BA in Painting from Mississippi State University. I also have a Masters in Communication Arts from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. My art is primarily spiritual in nature, however I also paint traditional landscapes. I work mostly in mixed media. I also travel around the world presenting live worship art in churches and Christian schools.

LM: In October 2006, you were commissioned to be a missionary to the arts community. How did this come about?

KJ:
After a mission trip to Europe where I had the opportunity to meet and talk to street artists outside the tourist venues, I came back home wondering: who is trying to reach creative people for God? That became my prayer. I felt God say in my heart, "No one. Will you?" So, the idea for a ministry to creative people was birthed.

LM: Tell me about your ministry in Atlanta. What is your vision?

KJ: We see a day when a church will be started that will be so creative in its worship that creative people will feel inspired to worship God in the way that He has gifted them. It is our desire and charge to see this model replicated all over North America.

Thursday: more from Kerry Jackson. Next week: a photographer.

No comments:

(placeholder)
waterlily

Home | About | Articles | Speaking | Links | Contact | FAQ
Blogs: Christians in the Arts | Beauty and the Beholder

Copyright 2007 LeAnne Martin. Site designed by ChurchGraphics.org